WHAT CAUSES SPIDER VEINS / FINE VEINS
Fine or spider veins are named as such due to a web of red or blue veins that form and appear to spread across the legs, face or other parts of the body. These are superficial blood vessels that have been dilated and are similar to varicose veins but are much smaller and closer to the skin’s surface. It is a very common occurrence and does not cause any medical problems, but may be unsightly to some people.
Caused by an increase in pressure in the veins, spider veins tend to be hereditary and become more and more common as you get older. Other causes include standing for long periods of time, obesity, a history of blood clots or even the use of birth control pills. It is also more prominent in women than men, and is estimated to affect between 30-60% of all adults.
HOW CAN IT BE TREATED?
Laser technology has been used to treat and reduce spider veins for several years. The adjustable pulse width of the GentleYAG laser system and its dynamic cooling device ensures that the usual stinging discomfort associated with sclerotherapy (vein injection) is drastically reduced. At Premier Clinic, we use the “pulse-and-swing” technique, whereby a cold sponge is applied after each pulse to cool down the target area as well as to reduce discomfort. As each body part is completed, cold gel packs are applied to each area to reduce any side effects including redness and swelling. Results are generally long-lasting and can last for up to 10 years but this may vary.
WHY CHOOSE GENTLEYAG LASER SYSTEM?
There are many advantages of choosing the GentleYAG laser system over other methods such as sclerotherapy including:
- No needles ever pierce or damage the skin, only a laser beam is used on the skin’s surface
- Non-invasive treatment with no saline injections
- No risk of allergic reactions
- No bruising, aching or muscle cramps usually associated with sclerotherapy
- Tiny spider veins can be treated
- The laser procedure is swift and easy to perform
- Minimised risk of complications due to computer controlled technology
- Laser treatment is reasonably affordable compared to other treatments